Vazirabad is sensational as Soumillon steals the show in Dubai
02 April 2018
Vazirabad produced a breathtaking turn of speed at Meydan on Saturday evening to land the Dubai Gold Cup for the third time in a row - in the process breaking the course record. With the pacesetters, Frontiersman and Red Galileo, still six lengths clear of the pack entering the straight, and Vazirabad having only two horses behind him, it didn’t look promising.
But, despite been barged and then partially blocked, the son of Manduro accelerated so hard that he’d cut his rivals down by the 100m mark and was eased down to win comfortably in the end by a length. Soumillon was delighted with the six-year-old: “The fast pace of the race has served him well and he flew up the straight. He likes being taken as far as possible and I had two good horses to focus on up to 150m from the post.”Trainer Alain de Royer Dupré outlined Vazirabad’s plans: “He has never been so impressive than today in Dubai. The Ascot Gold Cup is his goal. It was last year, but he damaged a tendon and we had to rest him.”
Later on Soumillon produced an equally brilliant ride in the Dubai World Cup on the Saeed bin Suroor-trained Thunder Snow, dictating the pace from a wide draw, to land the feature event and complete a double.
Picture: Vazirabad winning the Dubal Gold Cup for the third consecutive year
- Face Time validates with commanding Critérium victory
- Bourbon takes on Allaire duo in Critérium des 3 Ans
- Delia, Belina star in thrilling Prix du Bourbonnais
- Can a barefoot Bold lift Bourbonnais?
- [VIDEO] Grand Prix du Bourbonnais
- Cleangame outrun by stablemate in GNT final
- Cleangame set to wrap up GNT
- Srelighonn springs Georges Courtois surprise
- Macaire’s Blue primed for Georges Courtois victory
- [VIDEO] PMU Tracking