Tough test for Milord Thomas in Prix Murat
06 April 2018
In the lead-up to the G.I Grand Steeple-Chase de Paris at Auteuil next month, Saturday’s 4400m (2¾m) G.II Prix Murat is one of the most significant prep races on the calendar. The exceptional So French won this in 2017 before romping to victory six weeks later. Macaire’s seven year-old will swerve the event this year but the race will, however, see the return of 2015 Grand Steeple winner, Milord Thomas.
Although unraced since running second in the G.II Prix Georges Courtois last autumn, trainer Dominique Bressou is confident of the veteran’s chances and while not expecting him to win on comeback, still expects him to be the “Milord of old”.
Principal opposition is expected to take the form of last year’s Grand Steeple runner-up, Perfect Impulse, who made a winning return over hurdles at Auteuil early last month, and the ever-consistent (but top-weight) Bipolaire who ended last season by soundly beating the two aforementioned horses in the G.I Prix La Haye Jousselin.
François Nicolle will also send out Roi Mage who gave a solid account over hurdles on his first start back. Sainte Turgeon could also get a look in but the task looks a stiff one for Don’t Pass Me By and Paulougas.
Picture: 2015 Grand Steeple Winner Milord Thomas
- Kew hands O’Brien third Grand Prix de Paris
- Raiders have Grand Prix de Paris edge
- [VIDEO] JUDDMONTE Grand Prix de Paris
- Intellogent outclasses Jean Prat opposition
- Poule d’Essai winner Olmedo faces stiff Jean Prat test
- Fabre’s Waldgeist clinches Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud
- Fabre on course for further Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud glory
- No shortage of surprises on Vincennes Champion’s Day
- Stiff test for Bold Eagle on Vincennes Champions’ Day
- [VIDEO] Journée des Champions