Superb match on the cards in Critérium de Vitesse
08 March 2019
On Thursday morning, just a small field of nine was declared for Sunday’s Critérium de Vitesse at Cagnes sur Mer, the sole Group 1 over a mile on the French calendar.
Having for some time been billed as a match between last year’s winner, Bold Eagle, and February’s Prix de France champion, Readly Express, both with will take their respective places in the Riviera line-up. The draw, however, has done the former no favours, while the latter’s connections could not be happier. The Swede breaks from the No.1 spot on the inside, while Franck Nivard’s charge starts wide in No.7.
Timo Nurmos’s star prevented Bold Eagle from getting to the front last time out, which surely had a bearing on the result, and is ideally placed to do so again. For Sébastien Guarato’s horse to secure the double may well depend on some good fortune and the talent and ingenuity of his driver.
Uza Josselyn looks the next best horse in the field given how well she performed in the Prix de France, and boasts an impressive 1’09” over a mile. Third in this race last year, Dijon starts a place to her outside and given current form should put on a good show. Bahia Quesnot has never been tested over the trip but has the plum spot in front and can make the first five. The race looks distinctly tougher for the remainder of the field.
Picture: Readly Express (far side) and Bold Eagle in last year's Prix d'Amérique
- De Bon Coeur unrivalled in Hypothèse comeback
- Quality in depth for Bois de Vincennes 2019
- Soleil secures first group race of 2019
- Bressou set to strike Troytown note with Blue
- Express clinches Critérium de Vitesse
- Superb match on the cards in Critérium de Vitesse
- Bourbon routs Prix de Sélection field
- Davidson, Bourbon face off in Prix de Sélection
- Belina secures Prix de Paris ahead of Tony Gio
- Belina all set for Grand Prix de Paris bid