Study wins third French Derby for Bary-Niarchos tandem
04 June 2018
The Gr.1 Prix du Jockey-Club has been a very French affair in recent years and Sunday’s edition was no exception. Trainer Pascal Bary sent out the Niarchos family’s Study Of Man to win the coveted colts’ classic, bringing the handler’s tally in the flagship event to an even half-dozen. Victory also offered Japanese sensation, Deep Impact, a first European Derby success and jockey Stéphane Pasquier his maiden Prix du Jockey-Club win.
After having won the Gr.2 Prix Greffulhe in a canter early last month Bary’s colt had the option of going to Epsom or stay at home. His choice not to race him over 2400m (1½m) too soon proved the right one and connections were rewarded accordingly. In mid-division for much of the race, Pasquier raced alongside French 2,000 Gns winner, Olmedo, who was bidding to give Jean-Claude Rouget a third straight Jockey-Club, and Rostropovich, who was Ballydoyle’s best chance of offering Aidan O’Brien his first.
As Olmedo began to fade coming down the stretch, Study Of Man was full of running and after going to the front a furlong out, stayed on to win by a half-length from dogged rank outsiders, Patascoy and Louis D’Or respectively. Intellogent and Not Mine followed them in, while Olmedo could finish no closer than 13th of 16.
Picture: Study of Man winning the Jockey-Club for Pasccal Bary
- Decret to turn tables in Prix Montgomery
- Talhouët-Roy plaudits for Beaumec
- Who’s the one to beat in UET final
- Enable confirms with second Arc success
- Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe. A little trivia
- ANSWERS - How well do you know the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe race?
- Dettori primed to set new Arc record
- Waldgeist, Talismanic warm up at Les Aigles
- Way To Paris in good order ahead of Arc
- [VIDEO] Qatar Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe