Rothschild trophy to return home
26 July 2018
On Sunday, this year’s batch of three year-old fillies get their first opportunity to take on older counterparts at Group 1 level in France for the first time. The Prix Rothschild has drawn a field of twelve for the Deauville straight-mile contest and while British- and Irish-trained elements have accounted for four of the last six runnings, the French appear to have the upper hand on this occasion.
Leading the charge is Godolphin’s late developer, Rosa Imperial, who recently won a Deauville Listed on her first appearance since running fifth in the Gr.2 Godolphin Mile late March. She will be opposed by the Marco Botti-trained Aljazzi who won the Gr.2 Duke of Cambridge S. at Royal Ascot with consummate ease - a race in which the sole cross-Channel raiders, Tribute Act and Tomyris, finished respectively second and fifth.
Things did not go as planned for the talented Mission Impassible in the Poule d’Essai des Pouliches but she redeemed herself in no uncertain terms next time by securing the Gr.2 Prix de Sandringham.
Hunaina takes a hike in category following her Gr.3 Prix du Lys success but still appears good enough to hold her own. Crown Walk and With You will also generate interest.
Picture: Rosa Imperial
- Courageous Pollyanna clinches Prix Morny
- Britain takes on Ireland in Prix Morny
- Jockey-Club stars to cross swords at Deauville
- Alpha Centauri all class in Jacques le Marois
- Alpha Centauri the pick of Jacques le Marois field
- Prix Jacques le Marois 2018 runners
- Maurice de Gheest number seven for Freddy Head
- Brando chases further Maurice de Gheest glory
- French trotters making American history this Sunday
- With You canters to Rothschild victory