Reputations on the line at Vincennes
04 January 2018
A trio of Group II races graces Vincennes over the weekend with a host of top-class trotters in action.
First up, on Saturday, is the Prix Léon Tacquet monté event for five year-olds which will see dual Group 1 winner, Dragon Du Fresne, return to his preferred trip of 2175m and attempt to make amends for his sanction in the G.II Prix Emile Riotteau over the classic distance on Christmas eve. He will be opposed by Dragon D’Avril who finished third that day, Daytona Jet who steps up in class, and Jean Michel Bazire’s Dayana Berry who has not been seen under the saddle since March 2016.
On Sunday, Bellissima France will vie to get back on track ahead of her bid to secure a second Prix du Cornulier in three weeks time. She faces a dozen others in the 2850m Prix du Calvados, and trainer-jockey Matthieu Abrivard can legitimately fear Traders who is unbeaten from two in this code, and even though Philippe Allaire’s charge has already qualified for the Cornulier, he is still expected to give his best. Bilibili and Prix Jules Lemonnier winner, Athena De Vandel, are others in contention.
The 2175m Prix de Tonnac-Villeneuve harness contest has drawn just nine four year-old colts and fillies but looks set to be a thrilling race. Erminig D’Oliverie, who has won all three since her return to competition, latterly the G.I Critérium des 3 Ans, will once again face Eridan who lost the race due to stride irregularities, and Ecu Pierji who picked up second as a result. All three will be unshod to some degree and each one has a legitimate chance of bringing home the spoils. Enino Du Pommereux, Elite Du Ruel and Easy Des Racques can also get a look in.
Picture: Dragon du Fresne
- Bilibili to etch his name in Cornulier history
- Allaire’s Bird thumbs his nose at the Eagle
- Bold bids to break bridesmaid bandwagon in Belgique
- VIDEO - TEASER - Jan 14 - Grand Prix de Belgique - EPIQE SERIES
- Few surprises as Abrivard maintains winning streak
- Reputations on the line at Vincennes
- VIDEO - Happy New Year 2018!
- Propulsion sets cat among Eagle’s pigeons
- Eagle Bourgogne double in the balance
- Express threat to Eagle supremacy