Prix Montgomery draws fresh blood
13 October 2017
Three new arrivals in the handicap chasing division, Crack De Reve, Calva Du Rib and A Posteriori are set to tackle some of the usual quinté suspects on Saturday at Auteuil. The 4700m (2m7½f) G.III Prix Montgomery, for five year-olds and upwards, is a gruelling test, something which is reflected in its €175,000 prize fund.
Often referred to as the autumn version of the Prix du Président de la République, this year’s edition has drawn a baker’s dozen and each of the aforementioned trio looks a possible spoiler-in-waiting.
Guy Cherel’s five year-old, Crack De Reve, is not short on quality but going against him are both his comeback fall earlier in the month, and the fact that he gives weight to the field. Not since Little Brick in 2005 has a winner carried the burden of 70kg.
The Guillaume Macaire-trained contemporary, Calva Du Rib, has raced just ten times to date but was deemed good enough to run in the G.II Prix des Drags (in which he finished fifth) at the end of the first semester. On his first start back, he ran a decent second to the good Bipolaire, who since went on to secure the G.III Prix Héros XII.
Seven year-old A Posteriori has endured something of an interrupted career, but is now firmly back on track and at just 63kg looks a very seductive prospect.
Picture: Crack de Rêve jumping the Open-Ditch at Auteuil
- Mr Owen set to maintain perfect Deauville streak
- Bird Parker dethrones the mighty Eagle
- Bold Eagle facing old adversaries in Bourbonnais
- Bel Avis all class in GNT final
- Dexter & Dragon do battle in Prix Philippe du Rozier
- Veloce Du Banney vies for Paul Buquet double
- Majestic Mage gives Nicolle first Georges Courtois
- Milord the the pick of Georges Courtois field
- Fabre sends out another classic prospect
- Eagle out but Guarato still dominates Bretagne