Poule d’Essai winner Olmedo faces stiff Jean Prat test
06 July 2018
Often considered a second chance for those who failed to make the Poule d’Essai des Poulains honours’ list, the Prix Jean Prat may not be a classic but it still boasts Group 1 status and its €400,000 prize fund reflects its status.
For Olmedo, however, this is no revenge match. He won the French 2,000 Guineas with remarkable tenacity, providing trainer Jean-Claude Rouget with a second win in three years, before being trounced in the Prix du Jockey-Club. He returns to a distance over which he has excelled and can expect to be sent off favourite, but can expect to be opposed by James Tate’s hardy New Approach colt, Hey Gaman, who ran him close in the Parisian classic.
After finishing third in the Irish 2,000 Guineas, Aidan O’Brien’s Gustav Klimt ran a close second to Without Parole in the Gr.1 St. James’s Palace Stakes at Royal Ascot and on his first trip to France will be hard to oppose.
François Rohaut won this race in 2005 with the superb Turtle Bowl and will be represented by the talented Wusool who demolished the Gr.3 Prix Paul de Moussac opposition with daylight to spare and has earned the right to take his chances.
Fabrice Chappet’s Intellogent ran a fine fourth in the French Derby but may find a mile too sharp and looks more a place prospect here. The German offering, Ancient Spirit, sent out by French trainer Jean-Pierre Carvalho, was 4½ lengths superior to his nearest rival in the German 2,000 Guineas late May and after a much-deserved breather crosses the border with a realistic chance of getting in on the action.
André Fabre has won three of the last seven editions and even though represented by a colt who has never been tested beyond Listed status, Cascadian is nonetheless a decent sort and his presence at Deauville should not be viewed as a mere gesture by owners Godolphin.
- Kew hands O’Brien third Grand Prix de Paris
- Raiders have Grand Prix de Paris edge
- [VIDEO] JUDDMONTE Grand Prix de Paris
- Intellogent outclasses Jean Prat opposition
- Poule d’Essai winner Olmedo faces stiff Jean Prat test
- Fabre’s Waldgeist clinches Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud
- Fabre on course for further Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud glory
- No shortage of surprises on Vincennes Champion’s Day
- Stiff test for Bold Eagle on Vincennes Champions’ Day
- [VIDEO] Journée des Champions