Guarato, Allaire face off in Critérium de Vitesse
09 March 2018
It would have been thrilling had four-times Critérium de Vitesse winner, Timoko, had an opportunity to take on arch-nemesis Bold Eagle on Sunday at Cagnes-sur-Mer, but alas, having turned eleven, he no longer qualifies. Hence the presence of Pierre Pilarski’s champion.
Covering a mile, the Critérium is the only Group 1 of its kind in France and has frequently proved a propitious moment for Scandinavian prospects to pick up some of the generous French prizemoney on offer. This year, however, it looks a duel between Bold Eagle and the Philippe Allaire-trained Bird Parker who beat the champion on no fewer than three occasions over the winter.
After six successive second places, this could be the moment for Franck Nivard to get his charge back in the winners’ circle, having been drawn No.1 on the inside, while Jean-Philippe Monclin starts from the unfavourable 8-spot. The break will be crucial.
Others in contention include the speedy Billie De Montfort (5), who has just once disappointed in ten starts over the distance, and Anna Mix who has landed the plum No.4 behind the car. Timone Ek is a Group 1 winner over the distance and is well-placed to finish in the money. Dreammoko and Dijon can also get a look in.
Picture: Bird Parker (inside) edging Bold Eagle in Prix de Belgique last January
- Laurens doubles up with gutsy Diane victory
- No guarantees for home team in Prix de Diane
- [VIDEO] Prix de Diane LONGINES
- Dallas Affair makes amends with La Coupe victory
- Grand-Steeple redemption on the cards for So French
- Study wins third French Derby for Bary-Niarchos tandem
- Bary aims to increase French Derby tally
- [VIDEO] QIPCO PRIX DU JOCKEY CLUB
- Favourites confirm in Saint-Alary & Ispahan
- Eagle flies to Sweden to get even