Grand-Steeple redemption on the cards for So French
08 June 2018
This Saturday, 9th June, François Nicolle stages the Grade 2 Prix des Drags, the most valuable race on a programme which also features the Prix la Barka.
Traditionally considered a consolation race for the G.1 Grand Steeple-Chase de Paris, the 4400m (2¾m) Prix des Drags offers a chance for the ‘luckless’ to rehabilitate themselves before being sent for a break over the summer. In the big event on 20th May, François Nicolle’s Bipolaire fell at the first hurdle and in the process brought down stablemate Roi Mage and dual-Grand-Steeple winner, So French.
After missing out on a third title, Guillaume Macaire’s champion can expect to be sent off as favourite once again, considering that he has fallen just twice in 21 career starts. A sixth group success looks well within his grasp, provided he can fend off the Nicolle-trained trio, the third of which, Balkan Du Pecos, saved the stable’s honour when finishing fifth three weeks ago. According to their handler, “They all appear to be in good form.” Another Grand-Steeple faller, Sainte Turgeon, is also out to make amends.
Picture: So French
- Britain takes on Ireland in Prix Morny
- Jockey-Club stars to cross swords at Deauville
- Alpha Centauri all class in Jacques le Marois
- Alpha Centauri the pick of Jacques le Marois field
- Prix Jacques le Marois 2018 runners
- Maurice de Gheest number seven for Freddy Head
- Brando chases further Maurice de Gheest glory
- French trotters making American history this Sunday
- With You canters to Rothschild victory
- [VIDEO] Meeting de Deauville Barrière