Grand-Steeple redemption on the cards for So French
08 June 2018
This Saturday, 9th June, François Nicolle stages the Grade 2 Prix des Drags, the most valuable race on a programme which also features the Prix la Barka.
Traditionally considered a consolation race for the G.1 Grand Steeple-Chase de Paris, the 4400m (2¾m) Prix des Drags offers a chance for the ‘luckless’ to rehabilitate themselves before being sent for a break over the summer. In the big event on 20th May, François Nicolle’s Bipolaire fell at the first hurdle and in the process brought down stablemate Roi Mage and dual-Grand-Steeple winner, So French.
After missing out on a third title, Guillaume Macaire’s champion can expect to be sent off as favourite once again, considering that he has fallen just twice in 21 career starts. A sixth group success looks well within his grasp, provided he can fend off the Nicolle-trained trio, the third of which, Balkan Du Pecos, saved the stable’s honour when finishing fifth three weeks ago. According to their handler, “They all appear to be in good form.” Another Grand-Steeple faller, Sainte Turgeon, is also out to make amends.
Picture: So French
- Fortune and misfortune for Bird and Belina
- Bird Parker vies for Belgique double
- [VIDEO] Grand Prix de Belgique
- Cottin ends Cagnes meet on a high note
- Cagnes jumps meet to end on a high note
- Bold Eagle back on track following Bourgogne success
- For Readly Express, “the aim is the Prix d’Amérique, nothing else”
- Amérique winners cross swords in Prix de Bourgogne
- Eridan magnificent while Looking simply superb
- Younger generations on show at Vincennes