Gotland under threat from Prat’s General in Critérium des Jeunes
15 February 2019
Remarkably well-armed with three year-olds this term, Philippe Allaire sends out a veritable armada for this year’s renewal of the Critérium des Jeunes, otherwise known as the Gr.1 Prix Comte Pierre de Montesson.
Of his five runners in the 13-strong field, Gotland is sure to be sent off with the lion’s share of support, considering he is unbeaten in six starts to date and latterly won the Gr.2 Prix Maurice de Gheest over course and distance with considerable authority. Stablemate Gatsby Perrine finished third that day, confirming the result of her two previous performances at that level, and will be in the mix once again, but Allaire will be justifiably concerned by the presence of Frédéric Prat’s General Du Parc who finished second on that occasion before lifting the Gr.2 Prix Paul Viel three weeks later.
With four wins in his last five starts, the progressive Golden Bridge, takes his first steps at this level but looks a serious future prospect in the making and must not be underestimated. Sébastien Guarato’s filly, Green Grass, who most recently won a brace of Gr.2’s in the space of three weeks, is a prospective classic prospect and even though pitted against the colts this time will be no pushover, and victory would provide her sire, Bold Eagle, with a maiden Gr.1 success.
Others in contention include Italian Gr.1 second Granon Vedaquais, beaten Prix Roquépine runner-up Girls Talk, Guerrier Royal who finished closest to Prat’s colt a fortnight ago, and the complicated but talented Good Morning.
- De Bon Coeur unrivalled in Hypothèse comeback
- Quality in depth for Bois de Vincennes 2019
- Soleil secures first group race of 2019
- Bressou set to strike Troytown note with Blue
- Express clinches Critérium de Vitesse
- Superb match on the cards in Critérium de Vitesse
- Bourbon routs Prix de Sélection field
- Davidson, Bourbon face off in Prix de Sélection
- Belina secures Prix de Paris ahead of Tony Gio
- Belina all set for Grand Prix de Paris bid