Gala Saturday at Chantilly
27 September 2017
Prior to the expected hostilities on Arc day next Sunday, the proceedings get under way twenty-four hours earlier with no fewer than six group races on the card. Highlight of the day is the 4100m (2m4½f) Gr.1 Prix Cadran whose field has been whittled down to seven following the defections of Max Dynamite and Sheikhzayedroad. This year’s edition looks like a match between local star, Vazirabad, and Ascot Gold Cup winner, Big Orange. Christophe Soumillon’s mount was beaten just a short-neck by Quest For More twelve months ago, and represents the the Aga Khan’s best prospect over the two days of racing.
Of the four Gr.2 events on the card, the 3000m (1m7f) Prix Chaudenay kicks off the day’s activities. Prix de Lutèce winner Darbuzan is the main attraction for this three year-old, eleven-strong contest but can expect to meet resistance from the supplemented Soleil Marin. After flopping in the Prix Vermeille, Baiyouna faces ten rivals in the 2400m (1½m) Prix Royallieu and has a decent chance of redeeming herself. The fact that Baltic Duchess has been added at the last minute, however, could prove ominous for Alain de Royer Dupré’s filly.
Nine will go to post for the Prix Dollar (2000m, 1¼m) with recent Gr.3 winners Garlingari and Recoletos expected to generate most of the interest. A similar number have stood their ground for the Prix Daniel Wildenstein, run over a mile, and incumbent Taareef bids to retain the title following his close second place to Ribchester in the Gr.1 Prix du Moulin three weeks ago.
Picture: Vazirabad the likely favourite of Prix du Cadran
- Kew hands O’Brien third Grand Prix de Paris
- Raiders have Grand Prix de Paris edge
- [VIDEO] JUDDMONTE Grand Prix de Paris
- Intellogent outclasses Jean Prat opposition
- Poule d’Essai winner Olmedo faces stiff Jean Prat test
- Fabre’s Waldgeist clinches Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud
- Fabre on course for further Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud glory
- No shortage of surprises on Vincennes Champion’s Day
- Stiff test for Bold Eagle on Vincennes Champions’ Day
- [VIDEO] Journée des Champions