Favourites confirm in Saint-Alary & Ispahan
28 May 2018
Sunday’s ParisLongchamp meeting was an important rendezvous for both the classic and older generations with the running of a pair of prestigious Group 1 races.
First up was the Prix Saint-Alary, the last recognised prep ahead of next month’s Prix de Diane, and although having attracted just five fillies, the public was nonetheless treated to a thrilling finish. Last year’s Fillies’ Mile winner and recent Newmarket 1,000 Gns runner-up, Laurens, was sent off favourite before being sent to the front by PJ McDonald. André Fabre’s Flowrider briefly had her measure just over 200m out but was seen off just before the favourite was challenged again, this time by the Freddy Head-trained Gr.3 winner, With You. Laurens once more showed great courage and held on to win by a short-head. Soustraction took third a further two lengths away.
Next up was the Prix d’Ispahan for older horses which, somewhat predictably, went the way of Carlos Laffon-Parias’ recent Prix Muguet winner, Recoletos. The four year-old Whipper colt did not enjoy the best of breaks though, finding himself last of the six runners, while stablemate and pace-setter, Oriental, was doing his job admirably. Coming around the final turn, Recoletos still had a lot of work to do but once in front faced no opposition and went on to win by 1¾ lengths from Roger Charlton’s Almodovar. Trais Fluors ran in two lengths back for third.
Picture: Laurens winning the Saint-Alary by a short margin ahead of With You
- Fortune and misfortune for Bird and Belina
- Bird Parker vies for Belgique double
- [VIDEO] Grand Prix de Belgique
- Cottin ends Cagnes meet on a high note
- Cagnes jumps meet to end on a high note
- Bold Eagle back on track following Bourgogne success
- For Readly Express, “the aim is the Prix d’Amérique, nothing else”
- Amérique winners cross swords in Prix de Bourgogne
- Eridan magnificent while Looking simply superb
- Younger generations on show at Vincennes