Favourites confirm in Saint-Alary & Ispahan
28 May 2018
Sunday’s ParisLongchamp meeting was an important rendezvous for both the classic and older generations with the running of a pair of prestigious Group 1 races.
First up was the Prix Saint-Alary, the last recognised prep ahead of next month’s Prix de Diane, and although having attracted just five fillies, the public was nonetheless treated to a thrilling finish. Last year’s Fillies’ Mile winner and recent Newmarket 1,000 Gns runner-up, Laurens, was sent off favourite before being sent to the front by PJ McDonald. André Fabre’s Flowrider briefly had her measure just over 200m out but was seen off just before the favourite was challenged again, this time by the Freddy Head-trained Gr.3 winner, With You. Laurens once more showed great courage and held on to win by a short-head. Soustraction took third a further two lengths away.
Next up was the Prix d’Ispahan for older horses which, somewhat predictably, went the way of Carlos Laffon-Parias’ recent Prix Muguet winner, Recoletos. The four year-old Whipper colt did not enjoy the best of breaks though, finding himself last of the six runners, while stablemate and pace-setter, Oriental, was doing his job admirably. Coming around the final turn, Recoletos still had a lot of work to do but once in front faced no opposition and went on to win by 1¾ lengths from Roger Charlton’s Almodovar. Trais Fluors ran in two lengths back for third.
Picture: Laurens winning the Saint-Alary by a short margin ahead of With You
- Ispahan, Saint-Alary top Longchamp billing
- Mullins, Macaire shine while Pacault steals Grand Steeple show
- Grand Steeple-chase de Paris
- Nicolle confident of Coeur’s Grande Course de Haies chances
- Classic clean sweep for Godolphin
- Godolphin well armed for French Guineas’
- Remarkable Falcao secures Critérium des 4 Ans
- No shortage of quality for Critérium des 4 Ans
- Waldgeist steals Prix Ganay show
- Ghaiyyath the pick in Prix Ganay