Fabre’s Waldgeist clinches Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud
01 July 2018
Following the defections of Guignol and the well-fancied Bateel, Sunday’s Gr.1 Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud lost a quarter of its field but there were few surprises in the outcome as the André Fabre-trained Waldgeist confirmed his Grand Prix de Chantilly rout to secure a second career Group 1 success.
John Gosden ensured it was a close-run thing, though. Never one to send out a runner without every chance of winning, he had supplemented Gr.2 Middleton Stakes winner, Coronet, for good reason. Coming into the final 200m there was little separating the six but both Waldgeist and Gosden’s filly were soon to separate themselves from the others. At one point Coronet appeared to have the advantage but was touched off in the final strides to go down by just a nose. Sylvester Kirk’s Salouen came in 1¼ lengths behind and was followed by the winner’s stablemate, Cloth Of Stars, a further ¾-length away.
With the win, Fabre has now equalled François Mathet’s record of eight Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud victories.
Picture: Waldgeist edging Coronet in the Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud
- Green Grass registers first Group I win in Prix Pierre Comte de Montesson
- Gotland under threat from Prat’s General in Critérium des Jeunes
- Majestic Express wins Prix de France
- Belina en route to second Prix de France success
- [VIDEO] African Atmosphere - Special Day @Vincennes
- Dexter confirms with Ile de France victory
- PMU, world’s 3rd largest pool operator, will exhibit at ICE
- Dexter firmly on course for Ile de France glory
- Bazire band stands out as Belina wins the day
- Nothing to be taken for granted in Prix d’Amérique 2019