Fabre on course for further Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud glory
29 June 2018
With the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe just three months away, Sunday’s Gr.1 Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud will focus people’s minds on the end-of-season highlight. Eight were declared for the weekend’s 2400m (1½m) showpiece and it looks a decidedly intriguing contest.
With the field made up principally of foreign runners, André Fabre nonetheless have the key. With seven editions already to his name it would be no surprise if he secured another, this time with the classy Waldgeist who is back at the top of his game following his recent Grand Prix de Chantilly romp. His second runner, Cloth Of Stars, has not lived up to expectations this year but still deserves to line up.
Francis Graffard sends out Prix Vermeille winner, Bateel, who returned to competition with a commanding Prix Corrida victory. She beat the only other filly in the race, Coronet, in the Gr.1 Fillies & Mares S. at Ascot but John Gosden has chosen to supplement her and her participation must be taken seriously.
The Sylvester Kirk-trained Salouen was dynamic in the Gr.1 Coronation Cup last month and while Cracksman was not, he must still be afforded significant respect.
Multiple group winners, Iquitos and Guignol are the best of the German offering, however Jens Hirschberger’s Oriental Eagle appears to have a mountain to climb.
- British raiders set to storm Longchamp
- Fabre’s Kitesurf clinches Prix Vermeille
- Kitesurf to keep Vermeille trophy in France
- Davidson and Dexter set to shine
- [VIDEO] Qatar Arc Trials
- Prix d’Eté double for Aubrion Du Gers
- Aubrion bids to secure second straight Prix d’Eté
- Davidson pressed hard but secures Critérium
- Davidson looks Critérium des 5 Ans pick
- Unstoppable Loxley wins Grand Prix de Deauville