Enable confirms with second Arc success
07 October 2018
Winner of the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe at Chantilly twelve months ago, and with just one race in her since, due to some health problems, Enable returned to France favourite for the annual highlight and duly rewarded connections with a second victory, albeit a less emphatic one this time around.
The four year-old’s success on the race’s return to ParisLongchamp provided trainer John Gosden with his third Arc win in four years, having sent out Golden Horn in 2015. Jockey Frankie Dettori also extended his record in the event to six, and his filly became the first British-trained horse to win the race for a second time.
Ideally drawn, Enable was perfectly placed for much of the race before being taken to the front 1½ furlongs out. She did not look to have much more to give and showed great courage to hold off the superb late run from Sea Of Class, who had not been blessed with the draw, by just a short-neck. Last year’s runner-up, Cloth Of Stars, denied his odds of 39/1 to finish a further three parts of a length back in third. Waldgeist was a similar distance away in fourth, with 42/1 shot Capri taking fifth.
Gosden later admitted that his filly’s preparation had not been ideal since she had had a temperature issue between winning at Kempton and coming to France. He was quick to praise Enable herself, and the ride she received from Dettori, and left room for the runner-up, adding, “Full marks to the second who was flying at us, she was beautifully ridden.” The Newmarket handler did not rule out a third Arc bid, but said the decision lies with her owner-breeder, Kahlid Abdullah.
Picture: Enable winning her second Arc de Triomphe ahead of Sea Of Class
- Ispahan, Saint-Alary top Longchamp billing
- Mullins, Macaire shine while Pacault steals Grand Steeple show
- Grand Steeple-chase de Paris
- Nicolle confident of Coeur’s Grande Course de Haies chances
- Classic clean sweep for Godolphin
- Godolphin well armed for French Guineas’
- Remarkable Falcao secures Critérium des 4 Ans
- No shortage of quality for Critérium des 4 Ans
- Waldgeist steals Prix Ganay show
- Ghaiyyath the pick in Prix Ganay