Eagle out but Guarato still dominates Bretagne
20 November 2017
After Franck Nivard was injured in a heat on Friday evening at Vincennes, Sébastien Guarato secured the services of Björn Goop for the drive on Bold Eagle in Sunday’s Prix de Bretagne, first leg of the Epiqe Series for trotters, however the six year-old was withdrawn at the last minute on the advice of the Swedish champion who was not entirely satisfied with the horse’s performance (relating to a small abscess) in an earlier heat.
There was compensation however for Guarato in what became a significantly more open event for the opposition, allowing Valko Jenilat to confirm his short odds, winning for the first time this year at Group 2 level, and setting him up nicely for a tilt at the Prix d’Amérique, and was followed in by stablemate Billie De Montfort who has been knocking at the door for much of the year.
G.I Critérium des 5 Ans runner-up Charly Du Noyer made the early running but was to cede the lead to the eventual winner at the bottom of the descent. At the top of the hill, Bird Parker and Belina Josselyn began their futile attack on the recent G.III Prix des Cévennes winner. Eric Raffin looked as if he was going to impose with ease but will have been surprised by the late flourish from Billie De Montfort. Charlie Du Noyer and Bird Parker finished third and fourth respectively. Uza Josselyn, who had been backed down to 11/2, was surprisingly disappointing when failing to end closer than tenth of twelve finishers.
Picture: Valko Jenilat and Billie de Montfort first and second for Guarato
- Mr Owen set to maintain perfect Deauville streak
- Bird Parker dethrones the mighty Eagle
- Bold Eagle facing old adversaries in Bourbonnais
- Bel Avis all class in GNT final
- Dexter & Dragon do battle in Prix Philippe du Rozier
- Veloce Du Banney vies for Paul Buquet double
- Majestic Mage gives Nicolle first Georges Courtois
- Milord the the pick of Georges Courtois field
- Fabre sends out another classic prospect
- Eagle out but Guarato still dominates Bretagne