Eagle out but Guarato still dominates Bretagne
20 November 2017
After Franck Nivard was injured in a heat on Friday evening at Vincennes, Sébastien Guarato secured the services of Björn Goop for the drive on Bold Eagle in Sunday’s Prix de Bretagne, first leg of the Epiqe Series for trotters, however the six year-old was withdrawn at the last minute on the advice of the Swedish champion who was not entirely satisfied with the horse’s performance (relating to a small abscess) in an earlier heat.
There was compensation however for Guarato in what became a significantly more open event for the opposition, allowing Valko Jenilat to confirm his short odds, winning for the first time this year at Group 2 level, and setting him up nicely for a tilt at the Prix d’Amérique, and was followed in by stablemate Billie De Montfort who has been knocking at the door for much of the year.
G.I Critérium des 5 Ans runner-up Charly Du Noyer made the early running but was to cede the lead to the eventual winner at the bottom of the descent. At the top of the hill, Bird Parker and Belina Josselyn began their futile attack on the recent G.III Prix des Cévennes winner. Eric Raffin looked as if he was going to impose with ease but will have been surprised by the late flourish from Billie De Montfort. Charlie Du Noyer and Bird Parker finished third and fourth respectively. Uza Josselyn, who had been backed down to 11/2, was surprisingly disappointing when failing to end closer than tenth of twelve finishers.
Picture: Valko Jenilat and Billie de Montfort first and second for Guarato
- British raiders have edge in Robert Papin
- Cleangame set for Buenos Aires glory
- Kew hands O’Brien third Grand Prix de Paris
- Raiders have Grand Prix de Paris edge
- [VIDEO] JUDDMONTE Grand Prix de Paris
- Intellogent outclasses Jean Prat opposition
- Poule d’Essai winner Olmedo faces stiff Jean Prat test
- Fabre’s Waldgeist clinches Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud
- Fabre on course for further Grand Prix de Saint-Cloud glory
- No shortage of surprises on Vincennes Champion’s Day