Dexter & Dragon do battle in Prix Philippe du Rozier
01 December 2017
The 2175m G.II Prix Philippe du Rozier is the monté highlight of the Vincennes Sunday programme and has drawn a small but select field of eight four year-old colts and fillies as they plot their respective courses towards the G.I Prix des Centaures in early February.
The Thomas Levesque-trained Dexter Fromentro, whose harness career has been punctuated by numerous sanctions, appears to have found a new calling under the saddle. Plans were shelved following a failed attempt during the summer but he was given another chance early October when successful in a Class D at Enghien. Stepped up in class four weeks later, he trounced a good field to win the G.II Prix Olry-Roederer by a comfortable margin and looks the pick of the field again this weekend.
Levesque will nonetheless be wary of dual G.I winner, Dragon du Fresne, whose earnings to date put most of the opposition to shame. Although unraced since the end of September, Alexandre Abrivard is confident of his chances over a distance his mount particularly appreciates.
Dragon D’Avril is a model of consistency in the specialty and should play an active role following his second place in the Olry-Roederer. He will again cross swords with third-placed Dreamer Delo who will race shod on this occasion, and the improving Daida De Vandel. Dusty Wood is unquestionably a good horse but still endures stride issues, although with application should not be far from the action. Dolce Vita Griff has yet to impress at this level and, together with the untried Driver Cadence, make up the weaker elements of the field.
Picture: Dexter Fromentro winning the Orly-Roederer under Camille Levesque
- Britain takes on Ireland in Prix Morny
- Jockey-Club stars to cross swords at Deauville
- Alpha Centauri all class in Jacques le Marois
- Alpha Centauri the pick of Jacques le Marois field
- Prix Jacques le Marois 2018 runners
- Maurice de Gheest number seven for Freddy Head
- Brando chases further Maurice de Gheest glory
- French trotters making American history this Sunday
- With You canters to Rothschild victory
- [VIDEO] Meeting de Deauville Barrière