Dettori primed to set new Arc record
05 October 2018
Even after the late forfeit of Cracksman, John Gosden still has a chance of winning the Prix de l’Arc de Triomphe for the third time in four years. Of the 19-strong field that was declared on Thursday, last year’s winner, Enable, still looks the pick of the field. After missing the early part of the season due to injury, she made a brilliant comeback in a Gr.3 at Kempton and with her, Frankie Dettori will be hoping to extend his Arc record.
The Italian’s 2017 success complemented his previous victories with Lammtarra (1995), Sakhee (2001), Marienbard (2002) and Golden Horn (2015), and he has every reason to be bullish about his prospects. In spite of Enable’s unorthodox, late preparation, Dettori remains serene about Sunday’s big moment.
“I’m very excited, though. I have been asked whether I’m feeling more pressure now since Enable is defending her title, but whether you’re riding the favourite or not, writing history or not, you’re always under pressure in the Arc. You’ll never feel more pressure than that! It’s like when I was a child, I would count the days until Christmas. Now, I count the days until the Arc. What’s more, I haven’t taken a lot of rides leading up to the race. The memory of 2014, when I had broken my ankle and couldn’t take the ride on Treve, is still too painful.”
With more than 3,000 wins in his adopted UK, and in excess of 200 Group 1’s worldwide, Dettori comes to Longchamp, now ParisLongchamp, still at the top of his game, and connections of Sea Of Class, Waldgeist and Kew Gardens will be only too aware of his presence.
Picture: Enable and Frankie Dettori ining the Arc last year
- Ispahan, Saint-Alary top Longchamp billing
- Mullins, Macaire shine while Pacault steals Grand Steeple show
- Grand Steeple-chase de Paris
- Nicolle confident of Coeur’s Grande Course de Haies chances
- Classic clean sweep for Godolphin
- Godolphin well armed for French Guineas’
- Remarkable Falcao secures Critérium des 4 Ans
- No shortage of quality for Critérium des 4 Ans
- Waldgeist steals Prix Ganay show
- Ghaiyyath the pick in Prix Ganay