Cracksman capable of upsetting Stars’ Ganay double hopes
26 April 2018
For the official re-opening of Longchamp (since renamed ParisLongchamp) after a two-year’s hiatus, the Gr.1 Prix Ganay takes pride of place on Sunday’s programme and for the occasion prizemoney has been doubled to €600,000.
The André Fabre-trained Cloth Of Stars won it twelve months ago from the blue-blooded Zarak and legitimately bids for the double. After finishing a somewhat disappointing third in the Sheema Classic late last month, he will be assisted by pacemaker, Wren’s Day.
Cracksman, however, looks to have every chance of thwarting Godolphin’s plans. He may not have been seen out since winning last autumn’s Champion Stakes by seven lengths, but John Gosden is sure to have him at peak fitness for his first major objective of the year. Dual Gr.1-winning Irish filly, Rhododendron, is also making her seasonal debut but has nothing to prove at this level and the ground will pose no problems for her.
Others in with chance of picking up some place money include Ralph Beckett’s facile Gr.2 Prix d’Harcourt winner, Air Pilot. Finche still remains something of an outsider, while the German-trained Wild Chief can expect to find this nothing less than an arduous task.
- Eagle flies to Sweden to get even
- [VIDEO] ELITLOPPET 2018
- On The Go at top of Grand Steeple ladder
- So French surprise Grand Steeple inclusion
- [VIDEO] GRAND STEEPLE CHASE DE PARIS
- Close calls in the french Guineas’
- Domestic runners have the edge in French Guineas
- [VIDEO] THE EMIRATES POULES D’ESSAI
- Enino provides Roger with first Critérium success
- Leblanc’s sights fixed on second successive Critérium