Cracksman capable of upsetting Stars’ Ganay double hopes
26 April 2018
For the official re-opening of Longchamp (since renamed ParisLongchamp) after a two-year’s hiatus, the Gr.1 Prix Ganay takes pride of place on Sunday’s programme and for the occasion prizemoney has been doubled to €600,000.
The André Fabre-trained Cloth Of Stars won it twelve months ago from the blue-blooded Zarak and legitimately bids for the double. After finishing a somewhat disappointing third in the Sheema Classic late last month, he will be assisted by pacemaker, Wren’s Day.
Cracksman, however, looks to have every chance of thwarting Godolphin’s plans. He may not have been seen out since winning last autumn’s Champion Stakes by seven lengths, but John Gosden is sure to have him at peak fitness for his first major objective of the year. Dual Gr.1-winning Irish filly, Rhododendron, is also making her seasonal debut but has nothing to prove at this level and the ground will pose no problems for her.
Others in with chance of picking up some place money include Ralph Beckett’s facile Gr.2 Prix d’Harcourt winner, Air Pilot. Finche still remains something of an outsider, while the German-trained Wild Chief can expect to find this nothing less than an arduous task.
- Fortune and misfortune for Bird and Belina
- Bird Parker vies for Belgique double
- [VIDEO] Grand Prix de Belgique
- Cottin ends Cagnes meet on a high note
- Cagnes jumps meet to end on a high note
- Bold Eagle back on track following Bourgogne success
- For Readly Express, “the aim is the Prix d’Amérique, nothing else”
- Amérique winners cross swords in Prix de Bourgogne
- Eridan magnificent while Looking simply superb
- Younger generations on show at Vincennes