British raiders have edge in Robert Papin
21 July 2018
After declaring his intention to match the likes of Coolmore and Godolphin, Bahrain-born Amer Abdulaziz’s Phoenix Thoroughbred will be represented by one third of Sunday’s Gr.2 Prix Robert Papin field at Maisons-Laffitte.
Whittled down to just six runners, overseas raiders appear to have the advantage in the 1100m contest, with John Quinn’s Phoenix-owned Signora Capello looking the horse to beat, following a courageous Gr.2 Queen Mary S. victory at Royal Ascot, her third straight success. She will be opposed by the Robert Cowell-trained Pocket Dynamo who was purchased by Phoenix following his close second in the Gr.2 Norfolk S. at the same venue a month ago. Another promising British-trained runner, True Mason, is similarly owned by Middle-Eastern connections, this one being the property of UAE resident, Khalifa Dasmal, who won the Derby with Shaamit in 1996.
Of the domestically-trained contingent, Simply Striking is unbeaten in two, both over course and distance. Didier Guillemin’s Sexy Metro has also won both career starts, latterly with ease over 1000m at the same venue, and looks like Sunday’s flag-bearer. Rounding off the field is recent Premio Primi Passi winner, You Better Run, who provided his young trainer, Luciano Vitabile, with a maiden group success at San Siro late last month.
Picture: Simply Striking
- Courageous Pollyanna clinches Prix Morny
- Britain takes on Ireland in Prix Morny
- Jockey-Club stars to cross swords at Deauville
- Alpha Centauri all class in Jacques le Marois
- Alpha Centauri the pick of Jacques le Marois field
- Prix Jacques le Marois 2018 runners
- Maurice de Gheest number seven for Freddy Head
- Brando chases further Maurice de Gheest glory
- French trotters making American history this Sunday
- With You canters to Rothschild victory