Bold bids to break bridesmaid bandwagon in Belgique
12 January 2018
The fourth and final of the ‘B’ races will be staged on Sunday at Vincennes and many a reputation will be on the line. The Prix de Belgique, sixth and penultimate leg of the Epiqe Series, has drawn a field of 15 and at this point, nothing is written in stone.
Dual Prix d’Amérique winner, Bold Eagle, has finished runner-up in his last two prep races and while Prix de Bourgogne winner, Propulsion, will be absent this time he still faces Bird Parker, although Philippe Allaire’s charge is unlikely to be given a tough race just two weeks out.
Sebastian Guarato’s seven year-old can expect to come under further pressure from the Timo Nurmos-trained Readly Express who is unbeaten in his last thirteen starts and latterly demolished a quality field to win the Prix Ténor de Baune. Compatriot and contemporary, Treasure Kronos, was best of the rest that day and should be in with a shout here, but the Norwegian-bred Lionel is a force when in form and could set a cat among the pigeons.
Belina Josselyn still needs to earn her place in two weeks’ time and there are not many better than Jean-Michel Bazire to produce the goods under pressure. Few had faith in Briac Dark before he trotted third in the Bourgogne, but they might want to reconsider why he was sent out at 50/1 that day.
Carat Williams must confirm against his elders but still appears to be facing a stiff test.
All to play for on Sunday as we head into the most important fortnight on the French trotting calendar.
Picture: Bold Eagle
- Face Time validates with commanding Critérium victory
- Bourbon takes on Allaire duo in Critérium des 3 Ans
- Delia, Belina star in thrilling Prix du Bourbonnais
- Can a barefoot Bold lift Bourbonnais?
- [VIDEO] Grand Prix du Bourbonnais
- Cleangame outrun by stablemate in GNT final
- Cleangame set to wrap up GNT
- Srelighonn springs Georges Courtois surprise
- Macaire’s Blue primed for Georges Courtois victory
- [VIDEO] PMU Tracking