Alpha Centauri the pick of Jacques le Marois field
10 August 2018
Highlight of the Deauville summer meeting, the Gr.1 Prix Jacques le Marois, takes place this Sunday with eleven three year-olds and upwards vying both for a place in history and a share of the €1,000,000 prize fund.
The sophomore generation has accounted for three of the last four editions and they once again appear to be well-armed. Leading candidate for the straight-mile contest is the Irish-trained filly, Alpha Centauri, who comes to France on the back of a trio of Gr.1 successes and although racing against her elders this time, she is a consummate miler and can make it four on the trot.
Her principal opposition is expected to come from a pair of domestic horses. With You ran out a facile Prix Rothschild winner late last month and, like her Celtic contemporary, benefits from a not-inconsequential weight allowance. Four year-old Recoletos gives them both 4.5kg but already boasts a Gr.1 win to his name this season and will be particularly well suited to the Deauville conditions.
Fabrice Chappet’s Intellogent headed Cascadian in the Prix Jean Prat and both look competitively well in, although André Fabre´s colt still has room for improvement and can turn the tables.
Cross-Channel raider, Accidental Agent, transitioned from big-handicapper to Gr.1 winner this year and has more than earned his place in the line-up. Romanised failed at Royal Ascot to confirm his surprise Irish 2,000 Gnsvictory but trainer Ken Condon is confident this weekend’s ground will suit his colt better.
Rounding off the field are Trais Fluors, who finished fourth in this race last year, Noor Al Hawa, Success Days, and Zalamea, but each represents no more than an outside chance.
Picture: Alpha Centauri winning the Falmouth Stakes
- Courageous Pollyanna clinches Prix Morny
- Britain takes on Ireland in Prix Morny
- Jockey-Club stars to cross swords at Deauville
- Alpha Centauri all class in Jacques le Marois
- Alpha Centauri the pick of Jacques le Marois field
- Prix Jacques le Marois 2018 runners
- Maurice de Gheest number seven for Freddy Head
- Brando chases further Maurice de Gheest glory
- French trotters making American history this Sunday
- With You canters to Rothschild victory